Friday, July 8, 2011

[update] Back home after the trip.

Today I have arrived back home after the USyd interview trip. Now the wait for the outcome really starts. The outcome is expected to be known in mid-August. About five weeks.

Given my position coming into the interview due to GAMSAT (83 overall), I would be a bit disappointed if I failed the interview. However, I think my score may be borderline, although I find it hard to judge how I went. Some stations went well, others not so. Just have to wait and see I guess. If it happened though, I guess it doesn't really matter, but it means I have not much of a safety net left, unless the UQ issue is really resolved (which may or may not be the case).

If I really wanted to go to USyd though, the prudent thing to do would be to neglect studying for my exams during the exam period (since I would have passed the 5.5 hurdle this year with passes in both semesters anyway) and just study up on the interview. However, that was not the plan. Since I do want to go to unimelb, GPA is good to focus on, given unimelb weights GPA in ranking and third year has the highest weighting in their GPA (unlike USyd, UQ which weight all years equally).

Anyway, the next main test on the horizon will be a likely Melbourne interview. Unlike USyd, unimelb's interview has no minimum pass mark, so that is good for me. I'll have to prepare for that before the midsem break of semester 2. Seems like quite a bit of time. In any case, I guess I have gained more interview experience from USyd which will hopefully help a bit.

That's about it for now. There seems to be about two weeks and two days left to the break. Then it'd be back to uni for semester two, with all the studying again, and with interview practice for unimelb (or some other uni in the unlikely case that the cutoffs rise that dramatically for unimelb) in between. Then I hope I can get an offer or two in that time before the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).