Saturday, July 28, 2012

One year since USyd unsuccessful notification

I've noticed that tomorrow will be one year since I received the rejection notice from USyd. One year is quite a long time. (Meanwhile, it seems like USyd has changed the timetable of admissions for 2013 entry, so that locals don't actually have interview offers yet now)

I remember the disappointment when I did not receive the USyd medicine offer even though my GAMSAT score was very high, being worried that my interview ability might not be good enough for Melbourne, and being worried that UQ might not have a place for me after giving out offers in the first round.

Fortunately, after significant interview practice (aided by the questions being the same as the year beforehand), I was able to get a medicine CSP at Melbourne, and even if I couldn't, it seems like UQ would have had a position for me if I was passed onto them due to taking into account second round offers and people rejecting first round offers (for example for USyd offers).

During the past year, I have successfully finished Biomedicine, and now I'm doing medicine. I seem to be keeping up OK with the sciences in medicine at least for Semester 1 (although I'm a bit behind at the moment), but my clinical skills were quite borderline for Semester 1. So that is a hurdle that I need to overcome with practice.

That said, medicine is not what I'm most worried about right now... but I shall not elaborate further.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for sharing your experience of applying medical school with us. It is really helpful. I'm currently a second year biomed student in melb uni, preparing to get into medicine. I am a bit worried about the interview. Just wondering, what is the MMI at melbourne medical school like? Where can I get access to the past interview questions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cathy,

      The MMI at Melbourne has 8 stations, with 5 minutes per station and 1 minute of rest between stations. You can see past interview questions for many unis on the Paging Dr Forum; http://pagingdr.net/forum/

      You'll have to register first to read the threads though, and they periodically delete accounts without posts, so it would be good to make at least one post somewhere so they don't delete your account.

      Delete

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).