Monday, October 3, 2011

[update] UQ officially releases cutoffs for 2012 entry.

Within the past few days (or today?) UQ has released their cutoffs for 2012 entry. http://www2.som.uq.edu.au/som/FutureStudents/MBBS/Admissions/DomesticStudents/Pages/DomesticStudents.aspx

It seems like the unbonded cutoff is a GAMSAT of 73; which I've alluded to before in comments. Before I predicted it to be 74-75 on the assumption that there were going to be 25 unbonded places, but it seems like there were in fact 40 (this number is derived from the "GEMSAS letter of death", by subtracting the number of total UQ offers by the number of MRBS and BMP places). So that explains why my prediction was slightly inaccurate.

Interestingly though, there was no cutoff given for unbonded rural applicants. It seems too that the cutoff for rural and non-rural BMPs were both the same (66*, meaning everyone with 67 GAMSAT got a BMP if they put UQ first, but if they got 66 they were ranked by GPA and those with lower GPAs missed out). Maybe this means that even with the 25% or more rural quota in place, there were enough high quality rural applicants so that at least 25% of them were already above the non-rural cutoff, so there was no need for a lower rural cutoff. I wonder if this will be repeated next year.

So that's that. I thought it was interesting information, so I blogged about it. I think my Melbourne interview went reasonably, although I can't be 100% sure (and other people probably did well because of the repeat qs too), but if it didn't then I hope there is still a UQ unbonded place left for me from someone withdrawing. Ah the UQ (lower preference) issue...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).