Wednesday, August 31, 2011

[update] Clinical school preference list submitted. Midsemester test tomorrow.

Today I submitted the clinical school preference list for the MD program. In order, I put: Metro 1, Metro 2, Rural. This was primarily due to the distance away from home. Metro 1 also has the research precinct around it, and it's the closest to the university. For the other options, I said I was willing to take up an ERC place if I didn't get a normal unbonded CSP, but not a BMP or MRBS place.

I also did an online test today, in the same subject where I got 75% for one of them before in another test. This time I looked up a lot of the things I wasn't 100% sure about on wikipedia and got 100%, although a lot (or all) I would have gotten right without looking up. That subject didn't have a midsemester test though, and because there are more important pressing issues (interview), I haven't been studying for it well.

However, another subject of mine has a midsemester test tomorrow. It's a relief that it's a multiple choice test though. My preferred exam format, although my preferred exam is of course GAMSAT section 3.

Speaking of the GAMSAT, in light of these interview cutoff rises, I wonder if I should have done more to prepare for the GAMSAT this year. I could have used the MCAT 101 passages in verbal reasoning for example (my section 1 hardly improved this year compared to last; 3 points), and I could have written more essays, rather than having a somewhat lazy preparation effort of <10 essays. I know it would not matter if my interview performance is good enough, but despite my GAMSAT being "high", I wonder if improving it more than I did would have been higher yield than improving the interview techniques. Ah well, that's nothing I can change now.

4 comments:

  1. Not a bad way to look at it, i.e. whether GAMSAT or the interview gives you better value for your effort. I've filled in my form: Rural-Metro 1-Metro 2, then ticked all the boxes for MRBS, BMP and ERC. But I'm going to think about it for a few more days before taking it up to the library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really thinking that I want to go Metro 2- Metro 1 - Rural

    Only because I really don't want to be in the CBD more than I have to be, although the Austin sounds really intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, I live on the other side of the city, so to get to Metro 2 would be approaching the time it takes to drive all the way to Monash Gippsland campus from my home.

    But I hope my form wasn't stuffed up by putting an incorrect GMAC ID number (as described in my next blog post). It wouldn't be a problem if they follow it up by my name, but they have to sift through a lot of applicants at Melbourne...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went Rural - Metro 1 - Metro 2. And ticked all the boxes.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).