Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Seize the opportunity

Today I just missed my train to the city in the morning. I started later today, and this was not in the peak hours, so the trains ran at every 15 minutes instead of more regularly.

I was a bit upset because it meant I had to wait quite a while for the next train (although I wasn't late for class, I could have spent that time reading the newspaper at uni when I got there). I sat down on a metal chair and put on the music. I was wondering what I should do for the next 15 minutes as it didn't seem productive; I didn't feel that I needed a rest in that time.

Then the thought crossed my mind. I should exercise. I'm not really into exercising a lot, although often I do Taekwondo patterns in the morning if I wake up early enough and uni doesn't start until much later, and I ride my bike on weekends. I also often walk to the train station after uni instead of catching a tram, since I'm not in a rush for time. It's not much though, so doing more is better.

The first thought would be to just walk up and down the platform, although I didn't feel that it would be very good exercise. But then I realized that I could do stepups on the chair that I was sitting on (not many people were around). I haven't done them for a long time, and it uses considerable energy and force, so I decided it would be a good way to use up my time until the train came.

So I did my stepups. After a while I got a bit tired, and did some stretching. Then the train came. I felt that this waiting time was not wasted at all; this time it was used well. Maybe next time I have to wait >10 minutes for a train, and if I don't feel tired, I should do some stepups again, and not be upset of having to wait. That was an opportunity found out of what would usually be considered wasted time.


As for med school admission, some schools including Monash and UWA sent their interview offers today. Melbourne hasn't as yet. However, my scores were greater than some who got offers for Monash interview, so it seems like barring any administrative errors, I probably got an interview offer from Melbourne or a place at UQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).