Tuesday, October 15, 2013

NAE's medical jokes

Since Drug Lion has commented that he wants to hear my med jokes, I'll post my original compilation of variable quality here. I assure you that all of these are my own, but there may be a possibility of others having come up with them before.

As with many jokes, if you abhor anything not 100% politically correct or are easily offended, then read no further.



Many of these jokes are puns, so you have to imagine them being read out.


On a more serious note, it was with some sadness that I have learned by checking the medical records that one of the patients I saw in the hospital has died. This a patient that I put a cannula into too. There are other patients which I see who also have terminal diagnoses in oncology with poor prognosis. It is sad, but these are some of the things we need to learn to cope with in medicine.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Those are quite some puns you got there!
    To be honest, I only understood 2 or 3! (loved the ACE-I by the way)

    I've also had patients that pass away. In the pharmacy one of our services is to pack our patient's medicine into blister packs for them. Usually patients who need this service cannot manage their medicines on their own. This is usually because they are on too many medicines or are deteriorating mentally. Every now and then I will get notified that one of our webster pack patients has passed away. It can be sad, but I think it should not be at the same time. Maybe the key is to still care for the patient, but not take things past the professional relationship. Then again, none of my regular patients that I really like has passed away yet. So what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I thought you would understand a bit more since many of them were drug ones. Then again, maybe the hospital context is a bit different, or maybe it has to be read out. I guess 4 of them were about drugs without hospital context needed. That ACEi one I came up with while playing table tennis at the clinical school.

      Ah, so you need to deal with deaths in some way with pharmacy too? I don't think I am too bad coping with patients dying, although it is a bit of shock to the system. This patient was palliative so it was not much surprise, but another patient earlier in the year was somewhat more of a shock.

      Delete

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).