Sunday, September 22, 2013

[update] ED shifts!

As you may know from reading my previous posts, right now I am in the ambulatory/ED rotation. I have completed most of my ED shifts now, with one more to go in just under a week.

ED has been an amazing experience! It has been very fast paced at times. However, it is not overwhelming so, at least at the hospital I am in. There are some quiet times in between.

I enjoyed putting in IV cannulas and doing some suturing for closing wounds. I am getting better at both of these as time goes by.

Putting in cannulas successfully in one go is very satisfying. However, there have been a few frustrating instances, even apart from missing the vein completely.

One time, I put in the needle for the cannula and there was flashback initially, but it stopped abruptly - it looks like I went straight through to the other side of the vein.

Even more frustrating, I once put in the cannula and bung covering it successfully. But then when I wanted to take bloods, I accidentally took out the cannula from the vein! Not only did I need to reinsert another cannula, I also had to change the pillowcase of the patient's pillow.

On the bright side however, on the same day, there was a patient who needed a relatively large cannula inserted quickly for blood tests and fluids due to hematemesis, and I did manage to get that one in on the first go without pulling it out. So I feel like I redeemed myself.

The other thing which can be frustrating is when you successfully puncture the vein but the venous flow is bad when using a vacutainer to collect blood. That has happened to me a few times. I feel as if I should try using a syringe to see if it works better like I see some of the doctors and nurses doing.

I would like to thank all the readers of my blog who have allowed students to practice their skills, including taking bloods, putting in cannulas, and suturing. It is greatly appreciated.

All in all though, ED has been quite a refreshing experience. It is now one of the specialties which I am considering for the future. Now for the rest of the ambulatory/ED term which consists of hematology/oncology/dermatology...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).