Saturday, July 5, 2014

[update] 2014 MD student conference over. Semester 2 about to begin. SS1 and Women's Health.

This week we had the MD student conference for the University of Melbourne. It was the first time that we had a student conference encompassing all the years of the MD course during the conference.

Overall, I think this conference has been the best one I have been to so far. We were able to listen to the research which had been done by the MD4 students, some of which was very intriguing. We also had more "optional" sessions this year, where in the past conferences there were more sessions which were compulsory for everyone.

I also felt that the food was better than last year, although not as good as at the MCG. However, others disagreed, saying that the muffins were better last year. Perhaps it is because I don't particularly enjoy muffins anyway, or eat the dessert, so I had that off my radar for "evaluating" the food.

Anyway, I somehow managed to finish my 1500 word essay reflection already, so I won't have to worry about the conference again for a while, when I will need to peer-review two MD2 reflections or e-portfolios.


Meanwhile, over the next few weeks, I will be trying to organize in greater detail my research project to get ready for next year, and writing a literature review. This should be interesting, as we don't have time off for this. As I had hoped for though, I did get a project at St Vincent's cardiology, so I am happy about that.

My next rotation will be Women's Health at the Royal Women's Hospital, then my final rotation will be Children's Health. I think this should be a better semester than the last, although we will be required to spend a few nights at the hospital seeing babies being delivered. Let the semester two proper begin!

3 comments:

  1. I'm really glad to have found your blog, because it helps me to understand a lot better what life as a medical student is like. It's not often that I get to hear about the reality of Medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's nice to know that you have found my blog useful. From what I know, Melbourne is the only one with the compulsory student conference at the moment. However, there would be a few medical schools which have research, and most of the other content should be more similar between schools.

      Delete
    2. ANU also has a research component to it's MChD degree. The project spans across the first two years of the degree, and from what I've seen is quite straight forward. The past presentations have all been on a short and simple research topic. It seems that the essence of the research assessment is the process of writing a paper, rather than to turn students into researchers.

      Delete

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).