Sunday, September 4, 2011

Braindead

Lately my brain seems "dead" perhaps more regularly than usual towards the end of the day. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more lately. In any case, it's not something that is very desirable. Maybe because I like being able to think.

I've also noticed recently that whenever I had to do a math computation with numbers, I've been quite slow. It's not often that I need to, but I feel like I'm not as fast as I used to be anymore.

Looking deeper, I realize that right now all my subjects are biology-related, where I just try to memorize everything important on the slides. Yes, I know that you're not supposed to "just memorize" stuff even for biology, but I've felt that memorization was probably the "rate-limiting" step in learning most biosciences. But for the past semesters before this one, I've always either had a math subject or an economics subject to do, which has worked my analytical abilities somewhat. Some semesters had physics subjects too, and one semester (first year, semester 2) had a physics, stats and an economics subject in it; it was my best semester (apart from summer semester with only "linear algebra") as far as grades went (although of course it should be mentioned that first year level subjects are usually easier than second or third year level ones).

Anyway, I've decided it is probably a good time to play around with the DS "training" games again (I haven't touched them for quite a while), like "math training" or "brain training". I'm not 100% sure that they work to significantly improve function outside the games (I feel that they probably do but some news articles criticize them although I haven't read the actual journal articles), but training definitely won't do harm.

5 comments:

  1. try lumosity.com. lots of variety, I did for a month to awaken my baby brain, before i started gamsat study last year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that suggestion, Yahvinah. The site sounded familiar, and it seems like I registered there more than a year ago; maybe 2 or 3 years now, and totally forgot about it, and haven't played around for some reason.

    I looked at it just now and it seems very good. Maybe they expanded the free games it in that time or maybe I just didn't look into it much a few years back.

    Maybe that's something to do if I'm bored on the computer and feel like some mind exercises haha. DS is good for when I'm traveling on the train or in restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or you could sit GAMSAT every year just to stay in shape, like running a marathon for fun?! I can't believe I taught myself the entire VCE science syllabus, plus first year organic chem and now I've basically forgotten it all. Such a waste!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I hope I get into medicine for next year (would be more certain if UQ resolved their intake "lower preference issue"). If I decide to pursue the OMS route, then I'll have a legitimate reason to repeat the GAMSAT another 2 or 3 times afterwards :P.

    Not surprising to forget something if you don't use it for a while. It probably will be relatively easy to remember it all again if you wanted to though, compared to learning it all from scratch. On a related note, I recently decided to revise glycolysis and the TCA cycle even though I didn't need to know it for any subjects I do at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biochem is the most fun thing ever (ha - ask me if I still think that, 18 weeks into semester 1 next year). Good choice for recreational revision!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).