Saturday, June 8, 2013

[update] End of medicine rotation

Yesterday was my last day of the medicine rotation. In second year MD, after the initial foundation term, we rotate between the terms of medicine, surgery, and ED/ambulatory/GP, with 1/3 of the cohort in each rotation at any time.

There were fewer lectures in this term, but at my clinical school there certainly was no lack of lectures. Compared to foundation term though, there was plenty more ward time and other patient contact time in outpatients and bedside tutorials. I do wish that we had more opportunity to follow ward rounds, but then again the lectures teach us things we should know, so there has to be a compromise between them. I think the balance has been quite reasonable so far.

I learned a lot in this term, and ECGs are becoming less and less mysterious. I'm also becoming more accustomed to hearing the murmur of aortic stenosis in different patients who have it. However, I still need to improve my history taking skills.

Next week is intersession week when we will have some more lectures and another progress test. Then there will be a break before the student conference. In MD2 at Melbourne, there is no big exam midyear. The subjects are year long, so the big exams (OSCE and written) are at the end of the year.


To all those in undergrad, good luck for your exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).