Wednesday, May 9, 2012

[update] MD1 Midsemester test 1 results released.

Today the results for the first midsemester test was released. I am reasonably happy with how it went, although as always, if you don't get 100% you can always do better.

My overall mark was 53/60, or 88%. The class mean posted was 42.17 and median was 42 (70%).

That's within the range that I was expecting I guess, since there was about 75% of the exam that I was reasonably sure of and most of the other 25% I had narrowed the answers down to two options.

They don't give the answers anywhere though, because they want to reuse questions between years.

Anyway, now for the breakdown of my marks:

Anatomy: 10/10

The anatomy questions they asked were generally straightforward. Furthermore, I was reading my anatomy textbook in the leadup to the test, but that's the only textbook which I've kept up with so far.

Biochemistry: 3/3

Well, this isn't a big sample size, but it seems like my biochem is probably OK. I'm somewhat surprised with not many biochem lectures so far, but we'll probably get a lot more in metabolism block.

Microbiology and Immunology: 11/12

So it seems like I'm OK with that too. I wonder which question I got wrong though.

Pathology: 6/9

This was my weakest section, and I made 3/7 of my mistakes here. I didn't do that well in the online practice tests on this section. I think I might have gotten less than half of the pathology questions right on the online tests. I bought the Pathologic Basis of Disease book recently, but I haven't opened it yet. Perhaps I should read it one day.

Pharmacology: 10/12

I was a bit surprised about this. I thought that I got them all right! In fact, this section score is lower than my overall average. Now I really want to know what I got wrong. That said, I skipped over most of the pharmacology lectures when I was revising. I can't really regret it though. The time was probably better spent learning things that I didn't know as well, anyway. I do plan to revise all the pharmacology lectures again before the end of year exam though.

Physiology: 7/8

I wonder what I got wrong here too. Nevertheless, physiology seems to be a reasonable standard for me.

Population health: 6/6

Sort of expected though, because I find the EBM theory relatively easy to grasp without a heap of memory load like biosciences. The social determinants question(s) didn't seem to trick me up this time either, although you did have to know that a particular study (Whitehall) assessed the correlation of disease/mortality with job control (not with smoking). I felt that that was a weird technicality to expect us to know, but it seems like I got it right anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations - excellent result!! I also got 3 out of 3 for biochem, but can't match you in the other areas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, InkBlot! I'm somewhat relieved by the test scores. Nice to know that I'm keeping up well, and that it's not just an illusion lol.

      Delete

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).