Saturday, March 31, 2012

Spot the Drosophila

While I was out shopping today, I was reminded of something that I do when I go to the fruit section of a supermarket or store. Whenever I'm in the fruit section, I always look out for Drosophila. For those of you who might not know, Drosophila melanogaster is a model organism for genetics experiments. They use these insects for genetics experiments for reasons including that they have short generation times, make lots of offspring, don't cost much to maintain and allegedly have not much capacity for thought (so little or no ethics approval is needed for experiments). Due to evolution and organisms on earth descending from a common ancestor, many genes in humans and other animals are also found in Drosophila, but not all.

There's many species of Drosophila and the random fruit flies in the store are unlikely to be the same species as the one used in experiments. However, sometimes I find one which has that bright red eye which looks like it can be, but I'm not an expert so I don't know for sure. Anyway, here's a photo of a Drosophila that I took last year from a fruit and vegetable store. This one's probably not D. melanogaster though.



Oh and these binomial names reminds me of my first prac submission for first year biology. I didn't underline any of my species names (in typing you're supposed to italicize and in writing you should underline). So I got deducted a few marks. Now if I go to a walking track and the person who made the signs forgot to italicize (like when I went to Queensland at the start of this year), I really notice it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for that probably unintended tip. I am starting on my very first college Biology essay and will remember to underline the name. Though I doubt there would be many in mine. (Writing about dendritic cells)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem haha. By the way, for that submission I also lost marks for not ruling my lines for labeling the diagrams I submitted, and because I didn't draw 2 lines to emphasize that something was a layer (even though it was very thin so I only drew it as one line).

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).