Saturday, April 9, 2011

[update] 2 weeks of waiting down! And 2 midsems down.

It's been two weeks since the GAMSAT, so now about 25% of the wait for results is over! One quarter of the way there!

Meanwhile, I've just completed two midsemester tests in the past week. One of them I thought went relatively well (all multiple choice) although I did get a few wrong I figured after discussing questions. Another one had me writing non-stop throughout the entire tests, having no multiple choice, and having five essay-type response questions in 45 minutes! No time to recheck that one, although I did "finish" writing down something for each question by the end. However, I was planning to refine explanations and add diagrams at the end if I had time, which I did not get to do.

Personally, I think multiple choice exams are more valid than essays to some extent, since they are able to assess a higher range of the subject material in the same amount of time, thus reducing the effect of chance/question variability. This is despite the effect of being able to get questions right with a probability of 1/4 or 1/5 and some variance by guessing. However, the questions should be asked properly, and especially the answer choices should not be too ambiguous.

Anyway, one more midsem next week, and then one after the midsemester break. Then the GAMSAT results come out and it will be time to apply for medical school...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).