Wednesday, August 22, 2012

[update] Glucose tolerance test

Today we had to fast in the morning, then we did a glucose tolerance test to see our blood glucose levels rise and fall after a meal. Some of us ate Mars bars, some took glucose, and some of us exercised after taking glucose.

We didn't have any randomization though, which I thought was not that good for the experimental design.

I also got to use the finger prick blood glucose measuring machines. I guess this makes us empathize with diabetics who have to do that all the time. It doesn't hurt that much once or twice, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time. It's hard to type when your fingertips have band aids on them too.

Anyway. I was a bit excited today because I got to be in a proper lab for the first time in a while. We didn't get to do any pipetting though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to discuss issues relating to the post here. However, please note that any spam, advertising, inflammatory comments or comments that can potentially identify anyone in real life may be deleted subject to my discretion.

Exception: if a poster intentionally identifies him/herself but does not compromise anyone else's anonymity, the post may not be deleted.

If anyone wants to contact me directly, please email: zero zero one one five nine five (all in numbers) AT gmail DOT com (sorry, antispam measure).